13-18 March 2022, Kigali , Rwanda. The Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) is a delivery partner of the GCF readiness project “Implementing the Nationally Determined Contributions (NDC) to Promote Low-Carbon Growth in Mozambique” that is being implemented for the Government of Mozambique (GoM). The project, implemented, together with the Ministry of Land and Environment through the Directorate of Planning and Cooperation (DPC) and the National Directorate of Climate Change (DNMC), is intended to fill some gaps identified in the sectors of energy and waste pertaining insufficient funding, weak capacity to develop and assess projects for the climate financing initiatives, weak coordination mechanisms and limited ability to access climate finance through a nationally accredited entity to the Green Climate Fund (GCF).
The project is part of a readiness and preparatory support to the UNFCCC funded by the GCF and covers activities under 4 broad areas of intervention by the GCF, namely:
i) The Country capacity for engagement with GCF,
ii) Country programming process,
iii) Direct access to climate finance, and
iv) Climate finance accessed.
Under its component 1 “Institutional capacity and coordination mechanisms improved to govern and coordinate climate action and finance”, the project includes the Knowledge Exchange /learning trip/visit to other countries on streamlining mobilization and disbursement of climate finance. Hence, as part of the project implementation, an exchange visit was organized for the NDA and other Government Technicians. The study visit /knowledge exchange included the topics for discussion, potential beneficiaries, and the timeline for the implementation.
The objectives of the exchange visit are to improve the country capacity to:
i) Improve the country capacity to engage with GCF and other climate finance mechanisms by understanding:
• Coordination mechanisms on Climate Change/ NDCs action
• The sources of climate finance opportunities and mechanisms (differences and complementarity & requirements)
• The GCF requirements/procedures
• The NDA functioning (operational structure, coordination mechanism, project screening, disbursement)
• Project Development & Assessment (Financing / investment criteria & eligibility procedures for Screening projects submitted incl. social and environmental safeguards/criteria for approval of projects)
• Gender mainstreaming in project design and assessment
• Streamlining the resources mobilization and disbursement of climate finance
• How data for reporting on the CC and NDCs commitments is organised/structured
• Green procurement
• Renewable energies (mini grids, biogas, small hydro, solar and thermal, energy efficient buildings)
• Other (Natural Capital and Green Economy, NbS, Climate change and NDCs)
ii) Increase the country capacity to develop bankable projects, facilitate access to climate finance and ensure these components are part of the national development priorities and budgeting
iii) Share the Mozambique’ experiences on, among others, integration on Climate Change and NDC in planning, private sector engagement.
The delegation from Mozambique included:
i) Ms. Anacleta Chiangua (MEF-GCF NDA)
ii) Ms. Minaxi Chauque (MIREME-FUNAE)
iii) Mr. Aristides Muhate (MADER – FNDS)
iv) Mr. Salvo Tchamo (MTA-Project focal Point)
v) Ms. Nilza Hassane Puna (GGGI Mozambique Country Program)
The delegation were given the opportunity to visit to Kigali Genocide Memorial and learn about the history of Genocide Against the Tutsi and other genocides in general ; Visit to Campaign Against Genocide Museum and learn about the history of liberation of the country ; meet with GGI Rwanda Country Team and learn about their projects ; meet with the Director General-Ministry of Environment ; meet with the Director General of Rwanda Environment Management Authority ; Site visit to private plastic waste valorization plant ; meet with the Director Generals of WATSAN and Energy-Ministry of Infrastructure ; meet with the Head of Business Development at Rwanda Green Fund ; meet with the Solid and Liquid Waste Management Officer at City of Kigali ; Site visit to Nduba Land Fill ; Guided tour of Norrsken Campus focusing on energy and green buildings ; Site visit to private plastic waste valorization plant.