At a Glance
|Strategic Outcomes||SO6 Enhanced adaptation to climate change|
|Start Date||Q1 01 JAN 2020|
|End Date||q4 31 DEC 2021|
|Actual Budget (USD)||335,000|
|Actual Expenditure (USD)||274000*|
|GGGI Share (USD)|
|Poverty and Gender Policy Markers|
|Name of Client (Lead/Prime implementer if GGGI is part of a consortium)||Ministry of Climate Change and Environment (MOCCAE)|
|Participating Organization (Funding/donor)||Ministry of Climate Change and Environment (MOCCAE)|
|Name of consortium members, if any|
The project aims to enhance the UAE’s long-term resilience to the impacts of climate change through proactive adaptation planning and mainstreaming of climate change adaptation in development policies. It involves developing adaptation action plans at the sectoral level in collaboration with multiple stakeholders and experts.
The project builds on the results of the climate risk assessment carried out by GGGI for the Ministry of Climate Change and Environment (MOCCAE) in collaboration with other ministries such as the Ministry of Energy and Infrastructure and the Ministry of Health and Prevention. The assessment covered four critical sectors – public health, energy, infrastructure, and environment using an evidence-based, participatory, and expert-guided approach to vulnerability analysis. The risk assessment forms the empirical basis for developing the appropriate adaptation measures in the action plan to address the priority risks.
Note: The approved budget and actual expenditure indicated as of Q4 2020.
Project Impact, Outcome and Outputs
Impact: Enhanced adaptive capacity and resilience to climate impacts through proactive adaptation planning and integration of climate change adaptation in development processes and strategies.
Outcome: Climate change adaptation mainstreamed in key critical sectors in the UAE. Specifically, the project has created a ripple effect in reshaping the UAE’s response to climate change, shifting from a mitigation-centric approach to a more balanced strategy highlighting adaptation through the following milestones:
- The project paved the way for a more robust and ambitious NDC (approved by the UAE Cabinet and submitted to the UNFCCC on 30 Dec 2020).
- It has also enabled the government to mainstream adaptation in the national research agenda. The risk assessment has informed the research priorities of the Ministry of Energy and Infrastructure as they launched research projects on adaptation. In addition, MOCCAE launched the UAE Climate Change Research Network in Jan 2021.
- Building on the success of climate risk assessments for four sectors (public health, energy, infrastructure, and environment), MOCCAE requested GGGI to cover a new sector – climate risk insurance. They plan to apply GGGI’s risk assessment framework to more sectors in the future.
- The project has also attracted the attention of key universities in the UAE such as the New York University – Abu Dhabi. GGGI is acting as a knowledge broker between the academe and the government to strengthen the science-policy interface for adaptation.
- GGGI’s adaptation experience has been shared in climate risk assessment for the Arab region. It also contributes to global knowledge sharing on adaptation through the UNFCCC Lima Adaptation Knowledge Initiative (LAKI).
- Framework for adaptation actions developed for the following sectors: public health, energy, infrastructure, environment based on evidence-based risk assessment.
- Additional outputs include situation and gap analysis and capacity building workshop on climate risk insurance.