Rabat, Morocco June 25 – The Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) Morocco organized the launch of the Climate Action Enhancement Package (CAEP) – Morocco project, that aims to design a prototype MRV for the biomass sector and to develop a MRV for a biomass sub-sector.
The project, which will take place over a period of 6 months from June to December 2020, is conducted with technical support from Institut für angewandtes Stoffstrommanagement (IfaS) in close partnership with Morocco’s Ministry of Energy, Mining and Environment – Department of Environment, as the focal point of both NDC Partnership and of the GGGI program in Morocco.
In his opening remarks, Mr. Rachid Tahiri, the representative for the Department of Environment, expressed his support for the project “which has come at the right time to give an impulse to the Morocco’s ongoing efforts to develop MRV systems.”
Ms. Nicole Perkins, GGGI Morocco Country Representative, reiterated the importance of the establishment of an MRV system for the biomass sector in Morocco. Through its support for the mobilization of external financing, which relies significantly on the quantification of reductions applied to the NDC, the MRV system can certainly contribute to the successful implementation of the National Strategy for the Valorization of Biomass Energy.
The development of a prototype MRV that is compatible with the internationally agreed principles and appropriate for the Moroccan biomass sector context will be attained via the following outputs:
– Gather an overview over existing structures and MRV mechanisms in place in the country to develop a next step assessment.
– Conduct gap assessments on national MRV and GHG inventory systems, and review draft biomass energy strategy and relevant national policies against globally recognized models
– Develop the required systems for monitoring, reporting and verifying (MRV) emissions from the biomass sector in Morocco respecting guidelines set by the IPCC and other internationally recognized organizations.
– Analyze the biomass sector in Morocco
– Strengthen the capacity of the relevant biomass sector actors to implement the prototype MRV.
With the objective of raising Morocco’s NDC ambition by expanding its GHG inventory to include new sources of emissions from activities related to biomass, an MRV will also help identify to mitigation opportunities within the sector and catalyze finance for their implementation via Article 6 of the Paris Agreement or other sources of climate and carbon finance.
CAEP-Morocco is conducted with support from the NDC Partnership (NDC-P), with co-funding from GGGI. Morocco was a co-founder of NDC-P and both GGGI and Morocco are members. The CAEP fund is designed to deliver targeted, fast-track support to countries to enhance the quality, increase the ambition, and implement NDCs.